The elegant building was erected in the 17th century in brown brick on the so-called “Guasto degli Orsi”, or on the ruins of the large Palazzo Orsi, of which Caterina Sforza, in 1488, ordered the complete destruction in retaliation following the murder of her first husband, Girolamo Riario, which took place on April 16 of that year.
The ancient Palazzo degli Orsi seemed to occupy also the area of the adjacent Church of San Filippo Neri and the adjoining convent that were built later.
After the destruction of the palace, on the orders of Caterina Sforza, the rubble was not purposely removed, so that it served to warn those who dared to attempt again to the life and power of the lords of Forlì.
The discovery of a handwritten document allows us to date with certainty the foundation of the Sacro Monte della Pietà in Forlì to 21 March 1510.
Today it houses the offices and a part of the private collection of the Cassa dei Risparmi Foundation of Forlì. On the main floor there are some marble capitals with the Ordelaffi coat of arms, probably recovered from the nearby Caxa Granda, today Palazzo (Ordelaffi) Albicini, which until the early 15th century was the headquarter of the family that held power in the city.